System is collection of components that are organised for a common purpose.But some time term “system” is also used to describe organisation or a plan. (1)
Method is “a means or manner of procedure, especially a regular and systematic way of accomplishing something” (2) where as methodology is undertaking of an activity using a regular or orderly procedure.
In simple language, method is strict recipe, which enable a professional person to accomplish an activity where as methodology is the body of methods used in an activity.
In 1960’s many software failed. There were many problems that lead to software failed few of them are
- Software didn’t do what they were supposed to do
- It took much more time than expected
- It cost much more than expected
- difficult to maintain and extend
- Increase of new software faster than the development of software
These failure is also refer as “Software Crisis” . To solve these problem different methodology was developed.
We use methodology to understand things like
- Current Systems
- User Requirements
- Detailed designs for proposed systems
System Development life cycle has three primary objectives.
- Ensure high quality system delivered
- provide strong management control over the project
- maximise the productivity of the system staff
SDLC is used to develop the system. There are generally 7 setups in SDLC and they are as follow
Why project fails?
There are lot of things that plays vital role in failure of the project. But the key reason why project fails are as follow
- Unrealistic project goal
- Inaccurate estimate (time, money, quality)
- Badly define system requirement
- unmanaged risks
- use of immature technology
- poor project management and many other things can effect it.
Information System Security
Why have information system security?
There are many factor that we need to carryout. Some of the key reason why we need to have security are as follow
- Human Error
- Technical Error
- Accidents / Disaster
- Commercial Advantage
- Malicious damage
1. Human Error – Human error consist of entering incorrect details and mistakes done by them. For Example, recently, there was huge crisis on Netflix service. On 24th Dec, customer started complaining about the Netflix services and lot of them were unable to watch movies. Later on 25th Amazon wrote an apology as they were the backend host of Netflix, saying that it was human error. Someone unknowingly deleted the very necessary files that manage the service of Netflix on Amazons side.
Now Amazon has put up new rules where if any one wants to delete any files they need a permission from their immediate officer.
2. Technical Error -Technical error consist of different hardware failure in system. This can be hard disk failure.
3. Accidents / Disaster – This can be fire or Flood or any other nature disaster.
4. Fraud – This can be deliberate corruption of the data.
5. Commercial Advantage – Deliberate leaks of data for commercial gain.
6. Malicious damage – Hacker / Virus creator damaging data.